20 Nov 2020
What do you get when COVID meets Christmas? Why, a virtual tree lighting, of course.
Even the holidays aren’t immune from the reach of the pandemic. Since this is a season when folks gather together, it comes as no surprise that changes and altered traditions are afoot in 2020
As I covered in that last blog, the Holiday Festival of Lights just kicked off for the season. It’s a tremendous gift to the community that it went forward this year. We could all use some holiday cheer, that’s for sure.
The main part of the festival is driving through several hundred light displays (more than 750 displays totaling over two million holiday lights). In a way, it’s social distancing at its finest. You can tour through and see all the lights from the comfort and safety of your car. You don’t even have to wear a mask. They have even converted their concession stand for hot chocolate and holiday nibbles into a drive-thru format.
Virtual Tree Lighting at Towne Centre
Towne Centre is the area’s premiere shopping center. It’s not a typical indoor mall, but instead an assemblage of really nice retailers, both large chain and local, all with entrances from the sidewalk. It’s located just over the Isle of Palms Connector in Mount Pleasant.
Towne Centre sponsors many events through the year. They include the series of outdoor concerts “Live Under the Oaks” which just wrapped up, along with Puppy Bowl and Pet Fest.
Well, their biggest has always been their annual holiday kickoff, Lights Up, when they flip the switch on their festive holiday light displays, have a grand tree lighting and visits with Santa.
Well, this year, it’s gone virtual. They’re calling it, “Log On & Lights Up – Holiday Spirit and Virtual Tree Lighting.” It’s happening Saturday night, November 21st, starting at 7:00 p.m.
Get set for:
- LIGHTS UP celebration hosted by on-air personality Brian Cleary;
- Live performances by the East Cooper Baptist Church Choir & Orchestra, as well as the Gravel Road Acoustic Trio;
- A very special grand appearance by the man himself, Santa Claus!
- Lighting of the 40-foot tall Christmas tree;
- Special holiday trivia (follow @shopmptc on Instagram to play), prizes from Burtons Grill, Hyatt Place Mount Pleasant Towne Centre, Longhorn Steakhouse, Jon Smith Subs, Southern Tide by M. Dumas & Sons, Lizard Thicket Boutique, Savi Cucina + Wine Bar, Stella Nova and Vestique;
- Helps support Camp Rise Above, which gives life-changing camp experiences to kids with serious illnesses, disabilities and challenges.
Click here for more details, and to find the link to the virtual tree lighting when it happens tomorrow night. It’s sponsored by Roper St. Francis Healthcare.
FYI, Towne Centre is located at 1218 Belk Drive in Mount Pleasant.
So check out a virtual tree lighting from the comfort of your place – whether you’re at home or here in an Exclusive Properties’ luxury house on Isle of Palms. As always, just give us a call when you’re ready to book some time at the beach.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger