1 Feb 2019
One of the many popular Charleston festivals is coming up fast - I'm talking the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, aka SEWE. The Southeastern Wildlife Exposition is a celebration of wildlife art, wildlife preservation and the sporting life. The three-day celebration draws the largest number of visitors of any single event in the Lowcountry. This year this mega Charleston festival takes place February 15th through the 17th and promises to be bigger and better than ever. More about that in a minute. Today - February 1st - is the last day to purchase tickets online. Use the promo code SAVE to get 20% off general admission day passes for the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, until midnight tonight. Here is a link to buy tickets. Three-day general admission tickets are just $50 not counting the discount. If you prefer individual day tickets, Friday and Saturday day passes are $25, Sunday is $15. But hurry - and don’t forget that promo code. By the way, it’s a very family-friendly event. Kids 10 and under get free entry to the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition.
Here’s what’s new this year at the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, aka SEWE
If you've been to the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition before, you probably already know the lay of the land and how things have been in the past. Well, they’ve made a few tweaks this year, designed to help things move even more smoothly. Here’s what’s new:
- Expanded area at Brittlebank Park, one of the five main venues covered by the day pass. This area has many different popular events going on, like the beloved DockDogs competition, and so they’ve folded in even more green space and acreage for your comfort and pleasure.
- A new and improved Kid Zone. It will now be located at the north end of the Brittlebank playground. The kids in your clan will love the exotic petting zoo, games, pony rides, inflatables and all sorts of SEWE fun.
- A new Marine Village – focused on fishing, watersports and other water-based activities. Located at Brittlebank.
- Even “Cooler Art” - two renowned artists, Ryan Kirby and Chad Poppleton, will paint wildlife scenes on YETI Tundra coolers, which will then be auctioned off for a good cause. The fun takes place at Charleston Place on Saturday afternoon.
- This year SEWE will have even more dogs - yay! In addition to DockDogs and the sheep- and duck-herding border collies, they are bringing in STARR. These are specially trained search and rescue dogs (Search Tactics and Rescue Recovery Team) who help find lost hikers, children, Alzheimer patients, people in the water, etc. They’ll be doing demos on all three days of the festival.
Read more about these new additions here.
What's even better than a Super Bowl? How about a Pup Bowl.
Of course this Sunday is the Super Bowl, when the perennial Patriots will take on the L.A. Rams in Atlanta. Those who are animal lovers may already know about the awesome Puppy Bowl, which airs on Sunday afternoon on Animal Planet. In fact, this year a local puppy, a Dachsund named Charlie sponsored by PetHelpers, is taking part. Not to be outdone, the Charleston Animal Society is sponsoring their own Pup Bowl at Mount Pleasant Towne Centre tomorrow - Saturday, February 2nd. Adoptable puppies and dogs will be squaring off on the gridiron - the PUPtriots versus the K9 Rams. Get set for:
- The game emceed by DJ Luigi;
- Music etc. by Latin Groove Entertainment;
- Halftime show by Southbound 17;
- Bounce house, balloon animals, face painting and glitter tattoos for the kids;
- Food and drinks available for purchase;
- Fido Family Photo Booth and pet caricatures (feel free to bring your dog);
- Pet exhibitors offering freebies;
- Prizes for most team spirit/costumes;
- Free admission. Free raffle ticket with donation of pet food.
- From noon till 3:00 Saturday afternoon;
- Located at 1716 Towne Centre Way, just over the Connector from the IOP.