25 Sep 2018
This weekend there’s a fun beach run going on on the Isle of Palms, a rare chance to race near the surf. Not only is it healthy, sandy fun near your Charleston beach house, it also helps support a great cause. Think: loggerheads, and sea life. The South Carolina Aquarium is a big draw for people visiting Charleston, and for good reason. They have wonderful interactive exhibits exploring wildlife in the ocean and water habitats near here. They have also created a state-of-the-art rehabilitation hospital for one of the Lowcountry’s favorite part-time residents, the loggerhead sea turtle. Much like human guests, loggerheads pay a visit to the beach near the Isle of Palms between May and October. In the turtles’ case, they are laying nests of eggs. Local “turtle team” volunteers monitor them carefully to ensure their safe hatching and return to the ocean.
Lights Out for Loggerheads
This is why ask those staying in a Charleston beach house to keep “lights out for loggerheads.” You are asked not to have any exterior lights on that would be visible from the beach, and thus confuse loggerhead hatchlings as they crawl to the sea. They can mistake the exterior lights on a luxury house on Isle of Palms for the reflection of the moonlight. They instinctively look for it to head toward the surf. Well, the SC Aquarium is sponsoring a 5K sunset beach run/walk on the IOP this weekend. It will benefit sea turtles and their new Sea Turtle Care Center (turtle exhibit and hospital expansion). By my count, this is the third annual one. It’s called the Turtle Trek 5K, and it’s happening this coming Saturday, September 29th from 4:00 p.m. till 9:00 p.m. This is unusual since most run/walks take place in the morning.
Here are the deets on the Turtle Trek 5K beach run
- Takes place at the IOP County Park. This is the location of many of the Aquarium’s sea turtle releases, and very close to most of our Isle of Palms vacation rentals.
- Packet pickup is from 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. day of;
- Beach sweep and warm-up: 4:00 – 5:00;
- Kids’ fun run starts at 5:00 p.m.;
- Adults’ 5K run starts at 5:30;
- Registration fee ($45 adult, $25 kids) includes race entry, technical T-shirt, and after party access at The Windjammer;
- After Party from 6-9:00 will have awards, free food for all runners, raffle with prizes, and live music.
- Awards given for Top 3 Overall (male/female) and Top 3 in Age Categories (male/female): 1-9, 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60+. All kids’ fun run participants will receive ribbons.
Here’s more about the beach run. You can register here. Last I checked, registration is full, but you can add your name to the waiting list. There is still availability for the kids’ fun run at 5:00. lastly, here’s the event page on the Aquarium’s website. IOP County Park is located at 1 14th Avenue. Parking at the county park is $8 per car, or free for Gold Pass members. Or you could just walk, bike or golf cart from your home on the IOP. The event will go on rain or shine. So enjoy a fun sunset beach run on the IOP. And be sure to call EP when you're looking for the perfect place to stay on the Isle of Palms. All best, Lowcountry Lisa your Isle of Palms vacation blogger