25 Dec 2020
It’s a 2020 Christmas – time for a virtual Holiday Pops concert!
The Charleston Symphony Orchestra (CSO) is a Charleston tradition, and a world-class group of musicians. One of their most anticipated events is their annual Holiday Pops concert, which usually takes place right before Christmas.
2020 was no exception. They were able to go forward with their Holiday Pops concert at the Gaillard Center this past weekend, complete with social distancing and all the COVID safety protocols.
As usual, it was under the direction of Yuriy Bekker. They performed the concert three times, and it was a sold-out production. It was a smashing success, and luckily they taped it.
Well, now the CSO is giving a great gift to the community. You can watch a “taped livestream” of their Holiday Pops concert, absolutely free of charge. Watch it anytime you like, from now through 11:59 p.m. January 1st, New Year’s Day. Click here to watch on the CSO Virtual Concert Hall. The concert lasts approximately an hour and a half, so it’s a fun and easy way to keep the holiday spirit going.
Featured performers for the Holiday Pops Concert include: Kayleen Sanchez, Soprano; James R. Campbell, Tenor; Stephen Duane, Dancer; and Yuriy Bekker, Principal Pops Conductor
CSO Holiday Pops Program
Here’s a look at the program for the CSO’s Holiday Pops Concert –
- A Christmas Festival – by Leroy Anderson;
- Fantasia on Greensleeves – by Ralph Vaughan Williams;
- Concert Suite from The Polar Express – Alan Silvestri and Glen Ballard, arranged by Jerry Brubaker;
- “Rejoice” from Messiah, HWV 56 – by George Frideric Handel;
- Winter’s Miracle – by Tim Berens;
- O Holy Night – Traditional, arranged by Rene Clausen;
- Christmas Is Jesus Christ – by John P. Kee, arranged by Trevor Weston;
- Jingle Bells Forever – James Pierpont and John Philip Sousa, arranged by Robert Smith and Robert McCashin;
- Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Johnny Marks, arranged by James Stephenson;
- Mele Kalikimaka – Robert Alex Anderson, arranged by James Stevenson;
- Sleigh Ride – Leroy Anderson;
- Highland Cathedral – Michael Korb and Uli Roever;
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas – Traditional Carol
This is a year like no other, and similarly it’s a Christmas like no other. Virtual events like these are great ways to stretch out the holidays past the normal calendar. Truth is, you can experience festive events no matter where you are.
Charleston is a terrific place to spend time no matter what the season or month. Although we are experiencing a bit of chilly weather at the moment, this time of the year generally can have warm temps as well. The fact is, the beach is lovely, and different, at all times of year.
Check out Exclusive Properties’ live beach cam here, to see the current conditions.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger