9 Oct 2020
Magnolia Plantation and Gardens is back with another great event, this one called Autumn on the Ashley. One of the good things about Magnolia Plantation - and there are many - is that it has ample outdoor space, with plenty of room to spread out. In these COVID days, that makes a huge difference. It’s possible to hold special events and maintain a good level of health/safety. A couple months ago, Magnolia Plantation went ahead with its beloved annual ladybug release, as I covered in this blog. By all accounts it was a success. More recently, they also hosted a huge pet adoption event, which drew large, well distanced crowds of dog lovers like yours truly. It was a well-run afternoon, with lots of booths, vendors, rescue groups and live music. Many tails were wagging as plenty of deserving dogs found new homes. Well, they are hosting an event coming up that has fall written all over it.
It’s Autumn on the Ashley next weekend!
Magnolia Plantation is located right along the banks of the beautiful Ashley River. A brief side note - as all good Charlestonians know, the Holy City is where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean. Further inland up the Ashley River is where Magnolia sits. It’s located on scenic Highway 61, the Plantation Highway, aka Ashley River Road, along with its neighbors Middleton Plantation and Drayton Hall. About a dozen years ago, they thought an event centered around local artisans and craftspeople on the scenic ground s of Magnolia might be something that people would enjoy. Voila! Autumn on the Ashley Arts and Crafts Fair was born. This will be the 13th annual incarnation of the event. This time around, they’re also combining it with their annual Gilliard Garden Center Plant Sale. After all, fall is a terrific time to plant. It was supposed to be this weekend (Oct. 10-11th), but after a check of the weather they switched it to next weekend (Oct. 17-18th).
Here are the details:
- Autumn on the Ashley Arts and Crafts Fair, along with Magnolia’s annual Tina Gilliard Garden Center Plant Sale;
- Originally scheduled for this weekend, it’s been rescheduled for next weekend - Saturday and Sunday, October 17th and 18th, 2020 – due to rain in the weather forecast;
- On the Grounds of Magnolia Plantation and Gardens;
- Dozens of artists and artisans from the Lowcountry selling their handcrafted items;
- Works for sale include: wood carving, jewelry, paintings, photography, textiles, natural skincare, lawn art and much more;
- Garden sale will include new inventory of blooming Camellia sasanqua and later-blooming Camellia japonica, along with special daily sale prices (check the board at the gate for each day’s specials);
- Plenty of demos and live music;
- Great place to get a jump on your Christmas shopping or fall planting;
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. till 4:30 p.m.
Admission to Autumn on the Ashley Arts and Crafts Fair and Plant Sale is absolutely free. The area where it will be held is just outside the admission gates to Magnolia. Should you wish to also tour Magnolia and/or its gardens, you can do so with an admission ticket. Those cost $20 per adult, $10 for kids aged 6 to 12, and free for children 5 and under. Magnolia Plantation is located at 3550 Ashley River Road in Charleston. Check them out in their newsletter or Facebook. You can also reach them at (843) 571-1266 for more information. So head out to Magnolia next weekend and check out Autumn on the Ashley. And when you’re ready to book a great beach house Charleston, just give us a call here at EP. All best, Lowcountry Lisa your Isle of Palms vacation blogger
Image credit: Magnolia Plantation and Gardens