10 May 2018
A very popular summertime event is cranking back up this week near our luxury beach house rentals SC.
To quote the Kinks, it’s time to leave the comfort of your luxury house on Isle of Palms and “Come Dancing….” Or more specifically, to come shagging, at the annual Shaggin’ on the Cooper series.
It’s the quintessential Carolina - and coastal - dance. And it’s that time of year again where you can shag with the Lowcountry locals at a supremely scenic spot.
After all, what’s a trip to one of our SC vacation rentals, especially beach rentals Charleston, without doing the official STATE DANCE OF SOUTH CAROLINA? BTW, the Shag became officially designated as such in 1984.
This Saturday marks the kickoff of the annual Shaggin’ on the Cooper dance series, which will last through the peak season for Isle of Palms vacation rentals. It takes place at the pier at Waterfront Memorial Park, underneath the Ravenel Bridge on the Mount Pleasant side of the Cooper River. The event is sponsored by the awesome folks at Charleston County Parks and Rec, and it’s a whole lot of fun.
It takes place on Saturday evenings during the summer months, so you can shag as the sun sets over Charleston. Gates open at 7:00 p.m. and the music begins at 8:00 p.m. The park is a convenient drive from all our beach house rentals Charleston SC, and is east of the Cooper River just like our all our Isle of Palms luxury rentals are. From your beach house Charleston on the IOP, head toward downtown Charleston and you’ll find the park just before you get to the big bridge.
For your GPS, it’s located at 71 Harry Hallman Boulevard in Mount Pleasant.
Here are the dates and musical lineup for Shaggin’ on the Cooper 2018 near our luxury beach house rentals SC:
- April 28, The Sugarbees (playing a mix of beach, boogie and blues - a very danceable blend);
- May 12, Shem Creek Boogie Band;
- June 9, The Coppertones (perfect name for a band playing beach music!);
- July 4 - Uncle Sam Jam with Ellen Drive;
- July 14, The Sneakers;
- August 11, Vinyl Daze;
- September 8, Recollections.
The band that’s playing this coming Saturday to kick off the series, The Sugarbees, started out backing some bigtime groups. They include The Drifters, The Platters, Chuck Berry, and Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs.
Tickets are just $8 advance or $10 at the gate (if there are any left), but they often sell out fast. Here’s a link to the site with more info and where you can buy tickets online: http://ccprc.com/1175/Shaggin-on-the-Cooper
Food and beverages will also be available for purchase. This is a wholesome event perfect for many ages staying in your Charleston beach house.
Here are more event details:
- Online registration ends at midnight on the day before each event. On the day of the event, admission can be purchased by calling 843-795-4386 by 2 p.m. or at the event gate if available.
- No refunds issued or rain dates scheduled. If an event is cancelled due to inclement weather, your receipt will be good for any other 2018 Shaggin’ on the Cooper.
- You’re encouraged to bring chairs, as seating is limited, but please leave outside alcohol, food, coolers and pets at home.
So kick up those heels and get into a Carolina summer mood with the state dance. And when you’re looking for rental homes South Carolina, namely luxury beach house rentals SC, contact EP. We have the best around.
your Isle of Palms vacation blogger