09/15/2022 to 09/18/2022
Here’s your chance to celebrate the official drink of the South!
Sweet tea is the beloved beverage of the South, and Summerville gets into high gear to celebrate this refreshing drink.
In fact. Summerville is the self-proclaimed capital and birthplace of sweet tea. A couple years ago, they went for and set the Guinness World Record for the world’s largest cup of sweet tea.
Well, the third Thursday in September marks the start of Summerville's annual Sweet Tea Festival. They call it the “Sweetest Week Ever.” It’s basiclally a giant downtown open house and street fair celebrating all things sweet tea.
The 2021 Sweet Tea Festival had this on its agenda:
- Sweet tea competition where you can vote on the Tea of the Year;
- “Hold My Tea” cocktail contest and bar crawl;
- Live music at Hutchinson Square and Short Central; musical genres include classic rock, bluegrass, folk and Americana, jazz (Big Band, swing, standards, Latin jazz and modern fusion), shag, country, and a silent disco;
- “Sweetest Art Event Ever” with the grand opening of the nee SPARK exhibit at the Public Works Art Center;
- 100th Anniversary of the Summerville American Legion, with reeinactors and vintage military vehicles;
- Food trucks and vendors;
- Vendors galore - approximately 65 or so artisans and craftspeople selling their creations.
Dates and lineup for the 2022 Sweet Tea Festival are tentative. Check out the website closer to the event for details and complete schedule of events.